Thursday, July 21, 2005

Revenge of the Asshat...

You know the saying, "You Can't Please all of the People all of the Time"? ("And last night all of those people were at my show" - Mitch Hedberg) Well in magic that saying can really hit home. Some people just will NOT dig your act.. or get it. (Good pal Dan Sylvester wrestles with this constantly. Some people just don't get it. I personally think it's genius.) This is why as entertainers, we need to be more like theme parks... SOMETHING FOR THE WHOLE FAMBLY!!

I recently did an open mic gong show mock up for fun. There were three judges, two females, one male. I had 4 minutes so I decided to do my fire act. (Flame from the zipper, etc.) In the end the two lowest scores were a 5 and the highest was an 8. The two fives came from the gals. This put my show into perspective a bit. Females I think, on a whole, don't dig on fire as much as guys. Now I know that is kind of a generalization but it's like the three stooges. SOME girls like them, but it's mostly dudes who dig them.

If I had done one of my comedy acts I probably would have scored higher. What's my point? I'm glad you didn't ask. A show should have something that can appeal to everyone. In this case comedy and magic for the ladies, fire and slapstick for the guys, and kids (Or drunks, same thing) like it all.

This I think is one of the factors that hurts David Blaine, The Ass Hat. His shows offer little humor aside from the small amount of amusement we get watching him fool some inner city youth. Chuckling to ourselves, "Huh huh he fooled them good and they act like retards huh huh." Yah thaz about it. Even Copperfield in all of his Jewish glory finds time to be funny now and again. (Generally more amusing in his live shows than TV.) It seems even Criss Angel is falling prey to this on his new TV show. Only going for the creepy factor which not everyone will go for. If you are gonna be on TV, you should at least try to be marketable to a wide range of interests. There is indeed a market for everything, but the people who have been the best at it, are indeed a good time had by all. (On the upside with Criss being on TV there might be more of a call for people who do "Weirder" magic.)

So am I saying you HAVE to try TRY and be funny? No. Just pay attention to your crowds, see what works best. Try and have something for everyone. Humor, magic, movement, and for the ADD kids.. something shiny.

Bizzaro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something funny!