Saturday, August 20, 2011

Who was that masked man?

I was recently at Magic Live talking with Steve Brooks (Yes THAT Steve Brooks) about the silliness of magicians and anonymity on the internet. Anyone who has been reading this thing for.. however many years it's been now, knows I will gladly own up to anything I say and defend it. If I didn't mean what I say, I wouldn't say it. Sure it might not make me many friends but if someone is going to get in a snit over something someone says about them on the internet, I don't want to be friends with those people anyway.

On the flip side, there is a certain bit of truth in being anonymous. (Just ask those anti-scientology people) You can find out just how they feel and get a better truth when they are protected. In some ways it's the only way for some people to be themselves... by NOT being themselves. It's an odd dichotomy. The main drawback of course is that if you get too mouthy and then found out, you can have a world of hurt brought down upon you.

So for you magi out there who think yer hot shit because you are a faceless entity in cyberspace just remember there are people smarter than you with better toys and if you push the line too far, you just might be in a bit of trouble for a while.

Now here's Tom with the weather...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something funny!