Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Pretty... awkward...

Ok so this post might rock a boat and not make me some friends but stay with me on this. I swear it's positive... ish.

Anyone who knows me or has read this journal for longer than they should will know I am a big proponent of females in magic. I think the next step in public magic evolution is a strong magical femme on TV. However that gal should not try to do cardistry.

There is something inelegant about a girl manipulating playing cards.

Now before you send me any hate mail let me defend my case. Normal off the shelf playing cards are just not stylish. The imagery associated with them does not match up with the elegance of most females. It seems like a clunky silly prop to be fiddling with.

I am more talking about cardistry cuts and whatnot. Card manip on stage is a different thing and I have seen that done well. It just seems that the cards are an oxymoron to the imagery in my opinion. Hell a lot of the female magicians I know hate card tricks anyway.

If you are reading this saying "Fuck him, he's nuts. I'm gonna do it anyway" that's fine. However find some vanity decks that look interesting or fancy. Something that matches your personal look or ideals. Stray away from typical decks. I think this is one of the cases where a vanity deck would work well. Almost like an accessory such as a necklace or watch.

Correct me if I am wrong.

PS: New chatbox. Hopefully this one will work.