Friday, July 15, 2005

You Realize this is a Set-up right?

I was reading thru some of Michael Close's writings from his workers books and boy that man sure thinks a lot about magic... which is good. Someone needs to. In one of them he talks about assumptions people make ahead of time about magicians. One of them is that there is no WAY a person would go out of their way to make a prop so convoluted JUST to entertain someone... which is TOTALLY wrong.

I cannot tell you how many hours I have personally spent hot gluing odd things together to make a trick seem "impromptu" or modifying a "normal" prop. This post is about such a trick. I saw this performed by the late Johnny Brown here in TX. It's not his, and it's not hard to find, but the effect is killer and hardly ANYONE does it today. (Which is true of most old effects and books. Vito Lupo made a career off of the stuff out of the Tarbell series. Well that and he's a good performer.)

This fooled the hell out of me in my younger years, and the effect is thus. A fully inspected glass is placed into a fully inspected coat jacket pocket. Then four (yes fully inspected) coins are placed one at a time in the hand. They vanish and heard to AUDIBLY fall into the glass on the other side of the body. There is no help from the other hand and they are both shown fairly empty after each vanish.

This is a coin classic (or was anyway) and I'd like to see some people doing it again. Sadly I cannot as I hardly wear a suit jacket EVER. Now this trick oddly enuff uses a gimmick. It also looks like real magic and total skill. I will not divulge the set-up or where to find it. I want people to do it but not EVERYONE!

This is just one of those effects that while no one would suspect we as performers would go thru so much trouble.. but we do. Prime example, and pure impact. You want beautiful magic that blows people away, get yer lazy ass off the internet and quit looking for the newest thing from Ellusionist and Penguin magic. Try reading some coin books from TX.

We have much to learn from our past.

Bizzaro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something funny!