Sunday, April 18, 2010

TIGHTER!!!

Ok so here are some tips that might sounds strange, but trust me on this. I'm your dentist.

I have recently gotten into the habit of doing two things before I go on stage. Both are ways to trick your body to be more "into" what you're doing.

Before I go on, I do want to touch on something... like my nipples. AHEM!! I realized there were some occasions where I was just going out and performing my sets... and that was it. I made the fatal mistake of sometimes not caring. You have to have both for a solid performance to occur. Sometimes it's nigh impossible to muster up giving enough of a damn, but those times should be rare. The rub of course is that you have to WANT to be there in the first place. If you are doing a free performance at a place because you want to, you should still give it your all (or as much of it as you can conjure up).

Now back to some ways to help that along!

1. Stretch: If you get in the habit of stretching before you perform ANY kind of magic. Stage, close-up, comedy, etc you will train your body and mind to get in a "zone" and get into what you are about to do. It's like dangling a leash in front of a dog. That Pavlovian response of HOLYCRAPSOMETHINGCOOLISGOINGONYAY!!

2. Tie your shoes: This sounds stupid, even in my head. However, I have noticed if my shoes are on tight, shit seems real. When your shoes are loose you're comfy. Now I don't mean tie them so tight that your feet hurt and you cut off circulation. Just firm enough to let your body know you mean business!

So that's it. You can rank this up there with those other popular abstract concepts I have thrown your way in the past. Just do me a favor every once in a while...

Try it.

Bizzaro.