Thursday, March 24, 2005

Gee that sounded much cooler in the ad...

It's a familiar phrase. NO WIRES NO STRINGS!! (It's thread) NO WIRES NO THREAD!! (It's string) NO WEIRD MOVES!! (There is a weird move but using the word weird keeps them from getting sued) YOU COULD BE NAKED!!! (Thumb tip)

Regardless, the ads are made so the trick sounds better. This is why I will NOT buy something I don't see performed first. This is also one of the ONLY advantages to the internet magic shop. Video demos. Sure you can't say, "What does that do, or that, or this, or...", but thaz better for your health anyway. Getting smacked around in a magic store is just sad. Regardless, it always sounds better in words than it looks in person. (Especially when the only demo of something you can see online is an animated gif. Here is a tip from me to you: If it's not good enuff to film, it's not good enuff to buy.)

I had a similar experience at the Magic Castle last week. Saw two guys do a show together. One was a Julliard trained pianist (Say that fast, it's fun) and a Vegas magician. Here is what their website said:

"A Vegas magician and a Juilliard-trained concert pianist clash in an evening that celebrates great music and grand illusion. Can they escape the heat from the Martha Stewart Kitchen of Death in a Minute Waltz? Comical. Harmonious. Discord.
"


Now don't get me wrong it's a good idea but it sounds better in theory than in their practice. Not enough piano, too much dead space (And box illusions), and they had to resort to using a rabbit. Thaz just cheap applause kids. We all know it.

I think with some tweaking their act could be really good. At this point the females in the background were more engaging. (Not cuz' of their scantily clad-ness, but they were amusing to watch react to the show.)

So what's my point? I'll tell you. I hate the shadow box illusion. Sure makes NO sense but stick with me on this. In writing it would sound kool, but in watching it kinda gives itself away. Imagine this: An empty box with a light in it. The front door is paper so the light can be seen thru it. Shadows are cast on the paper. How is this possible? The box was empty.. yet there are masks, dragons, hands, etc being projected on the door. How is that.. oh a girl just appeared in the box. Well it must have been her.

Makes sense doesn't it?

Now I am sure many people are fooled by this. (My friend watching wasn't) Regardless, these are the same people fooled by a bevel base on ANY illusion but thinking people know where the shadows came from. I think the best shadow box effect I have seen was Dimmare. He combined Origami with a shadow box and folds a Pomeranian into a plant and then into a girl. That makes sense. (Kinda). Thus going from a lame appearance to an almost visual transformation. My point on this is thus: If yer gonna do shadow box, leave yer bitches in the base. It's more amazing. Produce them another way. You figure it out.

Yes I am sure someone will get offended with me saying "bitches" to describe an assistant. Life sucks. Get a hat. I could have easily said "prop-stitute" (Giggle giggle). It's not meant as an insult merely alliteration. My journal, my rules. Don't like it? Don't read it.

But we still luv you... in the butt.

Bizzaro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something funny!