Monday, April 10, 2006

A week or so ago I posted about something and then deleted it because I felt it wasn't really relevant. The main aggravation of the post was magic demo videos and how as magic consumers we have gotten used to and almost expect to be lied to by dealers and performers. I felt a new product warrants a rehashing of this.

Watch the video for the effect. If you figure it out then you will understand what I am saying, if you don't I'm not gonna tip the method out right. (I already make enough people mad with this journal.) The problems I have with this demo video are the same I have with a lot of them AND with a lot of magic specials. It's not what you see... it's what you don't see.

There is a gimmick involved (It says so in the video) so me saying that isn't gonna tell you much. However the video editing is done much like many others are done. With hip urban techno beats and wild wacky inflatable tube man action!! In otherwords jerky and hard to follow. In this video's case that is to it's advantage. The first effect is nice but he does "ditch" something off camera. Hmm seems fishy. The second effect uses a camera cut to TOTALLY lie to you. The effect the way they are presenting it would be IMPOSSIBLE. (Why do you think it needed a camera cut) aside from the fact that while being magical.. it doesn't make a lot of sense to just "do". On the third I can't even tell what the hell he's doing or what the effect even is.

All in all I cannot say for the price I am impressed since there is so much subterfuge involved with the demo. Sadly this is what we as magicians have come to expect. Dishonesty from those who would want our hard earned cash so we might earn more to waste on products we did not devise ourselves. It's a never ending cycle of lies, laziness, and consumerism. Do I sound bitter? Don't worry I'm not...

On the inside I'm creamy nougat.

Bizzaro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something funny!