Thursday, June 21, 2007

Repetition, part deux...

Before I talked about how doing the same thing over and over again makes you good at it. Now let's talk about choosing the stuff to DO over and over again. There is a lot of CRAP that comes out everyday in magic. Lots of it is a one trick baloney pony while others take way too long to reset or might be a tad cumbersome. (I'm looking at you ladybug from a drop of blood trick.)

Any pro table hopper will tell you re-setting is a blessing in your guise. Not only in effect but also pocket management. When it goes back in the way it came out is a wonderful thing. (That sounded kinda dirty) The reason I even bring up a lot of this stuff is recently I have been hired to perform daily at a local theme park and tend to do the same 10 minute set over and over again. (Gathering a crowd isn't the problem, it's getting them to go away.) If I had to walk over behind a wall or some such and reset some prop, it would A: Reflect bad on me and 2. Prolly piss off the people who hired me.

There is an old effect I used to do when I was much younger, but have had no reason to perform it anymore. I wanted to bring it back because it fits the character I portray. Problem is it required a rather annoying set up that wasn't always reliable. I put my strange melon to work and came up with a way to not only make it INSTANTLY repeatable, but also make it more believable and easier to perform as I can handle the props freely and without guile.

The reason I tell you this is that some effects, while NOT easy to reset or repeat, can be made to be so. You just have to teach and train yer brain to think a problem thru at every angle. If you want to do something, but can't find a way, don't give up. There is always a way. Nothing is impossible.. except for the things that are.

So when looking for your next effect or purchase in magic, think about where and when you are going to need it. How to bring it in and out of play and if it fits your character and flow of the show. When you can perform an effect relentlessly, day after day, with no futzing with a lengthy reset... that my children is when you are on your way on the path of enlightenment.

Reach Nirvana without that pesky shotgun.

Bizzaro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something funny!