Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Produce

As a magic product releaser type person, I sometimes feel a twinge of guilt. If I could just will these products into being without any overhead, I would likely give the ideas away because I like to think they are good and that good magic should be out in the wild.

It's such a slippery slope I am on with my beliefs on magic capitalism and the product I release. I am in a love/hate relationship with the fact that this is how I make my living right now. It's great to have your stuff appreciated but on the other side of the double sided two-face coin, it kind of sucks that this is what it takes to get noticed in magic.

I have been at two magic conventions this week. I noticed something strange. If someone show you a sleight you have never seen, you don't ask them if they sell it. You might ask to learn it or if it's published somewhere. However, if you show someone a tangible toy that fools them and they have never seen, then they ask if it's for purchase. This is kinda fucked up if you ask me... which you didn't.

Isis forbid you do something killer that you aren't willing to part with for a tiny bit of your soul and some cold hard cash. In this day and age, everything is for sale and when it's not, people look at you like the RCA dog.

Just something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something funny!