Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Fist off, I'd like to thank all of you who voiced yer opinion on my poll about magic demos. Maybe if we stand up to the people who are trying to screw us, the word will get around.

Regardless, on this TG eve, I find myself a little put out by an ad I saw on the back of a Linking Ring magazine. Here is the first line - "If you have not read and learned the magic contained in this book you have no business calling yourself a close-up magician."

I think this line of thinking is one of the MAJOR issues with magic. Elitist my-way-or-the-highway kind of thinking. There really are people who judge you on the books you have read, the material you do, or how good/bad your double lift is.

I know a lot of great close-up magicians (Notice I said magicians and not performers) who have probably never read nor owned this book. I myself have skimmed it, but couldn't tell you what's in it.

I am sure it's just ad copy meant to prey upon your insecurities much like most modern advertising, but come on... we're magicians. The concept of what you can or cannot label yourself based on what you have read or the material you, (and tons of other people do), is down right silly.

So there is something to talk about around the dinner table kids. From me to you, from you to the turkey, from the turkey to the bathroom.

Don't eat the yams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something funny!