Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Topeka!!

I was talking to a friend of mine who is in a touring illusions show right now.

While pulling into the parking lot of a Wal-Mart to look for glue, I stumbled upon the inherent problem with most illusions. It's pretty simple and the concept is usually applied to close-up magic. I have talked about it on here before a few times.

Illusions have no Magic Moment™!

When was the last time you saw anyone actually cause the magic to happen with a big box or basket? What causes the girl to not be sliced in two? Why don't those swords pierce her scaly hide? Putting them into that confined space is NOT a magical moment.

My friend says he yells "NOW" when he produces someone in a crystal casket in the show. I can't say I agree that it's a magic gesture or some such, but it's better than nothing.

So to all of you people with big gaudy boxes and badly painted furniture, the next time something happens that is not "prop"erly motivated (get it?), think of something to do that looks cool or furthers the effect.

boo yah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something funny!