Saturday, July 15, 2006


Let's talk about that photo shall we? This is something I believe strongly in and I am riding a fine line. (You know that line. The same one that Jarred guy from Subway rides every time he walks past a bakery.)

I had a few people ask me, "wouldn't it make more sense to be in front of a different background?" Kind of. Lemme esplain'... no not enuff time. Lemme sum up. (This sad moment brought to you by Mandy Patinkin.)

If I was to place a different background into that photo it would become a magic photo. I prefer it to be a funny picture. One of those things you look at and go hunh? Why not you ask? Simple. I don't do a trick where water shoots out of my hat.

And that right there kids is the point. I am strongly opposed to photos that represent you doing something you cannot and do not do in your shows. None of my promo photos are photoshopped to represent something I don't do. I see a photo of a magician holding in their hands their assistant's head and the body is sitting in a chair I know something is up. (I don't care if you do that Andre Cole Head Mover Illusion or not.)

This is just a rule I live by personally and hate to see others do. It looks hokey. Much like good digital effects in movies, image manipulation shouldn't be noticeable. (Believe it or not there was very little PS'ing with the above photo. Just some color correction and I moved the shower curtain over a bit. You should see what it originally looked like.) To paraphrase something Brian Brushwood once told me, "I have plenty of good magic. I wanted good theater." (In reference to his stigmata presentation.)

Me? I have plenty of magic photos. I just wanted a funny one.

Bizzaro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something funny!