Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Fourth Dimension....



So last night was our monthly show at the local Improv comedy club here in Dallas. (Finally magic has found a home in Dallas!!) I performed some of what I lovingly refer to as my "B-sides". Those are the effects I rarely perform or only drag out to elongate my show if necessary. Aaaaaaanywho, I wasn't overly pleased with my performance, but it wasn't bad. Everyone else enjoyed it regardless of the magic performance or the material snafu's.

Why is this you ask? Ok so you didn't ask, but if yer reading this you are CERTAINLY asking for it right?

Regardless, my stage show is performed entirely to music which means I have to use my WHOLE being to convey my message on stage. One of my problems with a lot of silent acts out there is that most don't acknowledge the audience is there. Most guys who look at the audience and smile do so like they are looking at themselves in the mirror at home. It's forced and practiced. If something looks or feels rough and you look at the audience or shrug it off AT them, they usually chuckle and when it shows that something doesn't bother you, then it doesn't bother them either. An audience can retain an uneasy tension and if it remains unchecked or unreleased, then it can have a negative effect on the way they perceive you. By remembering there lies a sea of faces waiting to be entertained just beyond that fourth wall, you can make a whole room chocked full o' nuts your friend.

Don't be afraid to be human on stage. A look can say more then practiced patter line ever will. We are only above them because that platform is elevated.

"Remember who you are..." - Mufasa

Bizzaro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something funny!