Friday, May 02, 2008

Well I am back from my amusing week in Vegas at WMS. Saw many fine effects, met some cool people (Who I shall tell you about later), and got to show off some of stuff and basically let people know just who the hell I am. (I tend to not "hang" in the magic community much. Shocker, I know.)

So rather than regale you with stories of Richard Pryor impersonations, bowling scores, or the people I got to shake hands with, I shall instead rant and rave about the silliness of magic propaganda.

Every time I see an ad or video that shows people reacting to something AmaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaaazzzzzing and the copy promises miracles and astonishment and wonder and cheese and cantaloupe and whatnot, I laugh because magicians have been saying these things since magic catalogs were created.

Radiating lines and clip art of happy spectators and people who look like they smoke like a chimney... if it were the 1950's all over again. We pretend our little rubberband coin tricks and jiggling wads of tissue are the latest and greatest and promise they will make you look like a gawd (usually Buddha, who's not a deity per se, but you get my point).

Dunno why, but I thought I would share. Prolly had something to do with the mass amount of talk about marketing thrown at me this week. Apparently, the best trick of the convention was not for sale...

funny that.

Bizzaro.

PS: Still looking to see if anyone wants a guest spot over the next week to rant about.. well.. anything magic related. I'm gonna grab some of my friends and people I know, so we'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something funny!