Saturday, February 07, 2009

3 minutes to fame...

Rudy Coby to this day still stands by the belief that with three minutes of strong original material, you can do almost anything. (I threw in the almost.. just cuz') I agree, but there are some factors to that.

We're not going into what those might be, however I use this example to illustrate a point I just made to a younger magician wishing to give his talent show observers the willies. After some material choices I said to him, "If your material and performance is strong enuff, you only need a few minutes of their time to be remembered forever."

This saying is very true. When I was younger, I would always try to over-do it, magic wise, when I met new people. (Many older people STILL do this and should be beat about the head and shoulders.. and the pert plus.) There is a reason the phrase, "Always leave them wanting more" still gets tossed around like a cheap prostitute. It's TRUE!!

You don't need the gaudy boxes, trite doves, or over-sized fan blowing yer hair to make an impact. Shawn Farquhar brings down the house with a deck of cards and the right music. (Mind you BEFORE all of this he does some bigger things as a lead up, but he doesn't need it) All it takes is the right attitude, presentation, and in one man's case... four legs.

Never leave them wanting less...

Bizzaro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something funny!